Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Technical Details Arising in my 1:1

In illustrator I composed a small cross section of what my 1:1 model for this fortnightly project would look like and where I could get it. In essence the process would begin with creating a timber framing from a 90 by 45 timber post (about 1 meter), then attaching a waterproof barrier to it by use of screws. Further by attaching an aluminum bracket to the waterproofing I could by use of glue or silicone keep my glass in place behind the brick facade. The brick facade would be created by stacking bricks on top of each other with the main focus being in creating a cantilevered brick line that would look like it is being held in the air by the use of mortar (which it couldn't as mortar tends to fail under tension loads but rather works on compression) but actually would have a L aluminum piece underneath keeping the brick line in place and covered with mortar. The brick section would be tied to the timber main framing by use of brick ties bought at most hardware stores and all the bricks mortared together.


Above: Detail of the joining of the aluminium piece to the the wooden framing and the glass piece.

Above: I visited Ullrich Aluminium yesterday on Great South Rd and after a bit of trouble finding it I got there and looked for a L shaped piece that would be able to hold up my staggered brick cantilever section. I was successful, however they only sell large 3.8 meter long lengths of it so I would have found it impossible to fit in my car. Luckily the guy in the store took me round the scrap box and I managed to find both a L shaped piece and a aluminium joint to hold my window pane up that were a suitable size and at $5 tip for the guy to help me was well worth having to buy an insanely large piece that I wouldn't use and couldn't transport.
Visiting Placemakers on Cook Road I was also able to get a number of my other materials including brick ties (above) that use screws to join the bricks to the timber facade as well as my desired lengths of my 90 by 45mm timber posts and trade mortar for my brick laying.

No comments:

Post a Comment