Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Development of Conceptual Flexible Prims and Scripts










Following on from my playing around with flexible prims I wanted to play around with the idea of a rigid modernist Corbusier influenced building that I will have to built, being able to be bent by a physical shape put on top of it. The pictures above (bottom of the list) show a visual representation of my experimenting in Second Life with creating a bed of square prims that were made flexible and with the softness increased with a square and circle physical prim being dropped on top of them at a random height. While I was expecting to see the bottom prims flex under the force of the physical object fall on top of them, I didn't in fact achieve this, instead the physical block at best with some playing around floated on top of the flexi prim bed like a cork or slid off the sides, creating a sense of slight disappointment that physical blocks would not be able to bend prims underneath.

Other pictures above show me exploring the use of a couple of scripts that would effectively change the colour of prims depending on how close my avatar was positioned to them or at what frequency it collided with them. This was interesting in terms of architecture that was responsive to a persons movement within the building and could be used in a large variety of ways that would aim to (as Ian mentioned in my mid-semester crit last half semester) could respond to weather, rain, the emotions of people walking past, temperature, wind, etc, which I found an interesting concept.

In the top picture, looking at other peoples work I found the inspiration again to recognize the importance of including parts of responsive architecture within my office space with the possibility of prims moving towards you, twisting louvres that could aim to turn towards you, windows that followed your gaze, etc. Thus allowing full and extended utilization of external walls, windows and partition spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment