Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Few Models

In thinking about how the light chimneys would cut my block main office and public space building forms I created a wooden model that would aim to just play around with some of the ideas of angulation of the light chimneys to certain spaces and even to an extent the transformation of the accepted block forms themselves.
By stacking the block forms at different levels and playing around with light chimneys of different angles and lengths there is a lot that seems quite monumental and quite industrial with the associated use of concrete chimneys cutting brick square buildings.
Further play around with the use of converging light chimneys on a certain point within the different spaces and the fact that I don't want to have all the chimneys orientated so that within the space one can see through each one outside. Although this could be interesting, at a certain level it is also selfish in that all commuters must stand in this one spot and look out which could cause crowding along this internal convergence point. By spreading the lookout points within the interior spaces and changing the associated light chimney angles a lot more people can appreciate the gift of sight and views of the city that is presented to them.
Above and Below: I created a small model of how my staggered brick facades would meet the glass interior of the office and train stop spaces within. The idea would be of creating a staggered brick facade and by the use of brick ties or similar attaching that facade to an interior wooden frame form that would support the building while also by use of aluminium attachments and silicon hold the glass in place as a second protruding skin on the inside of the brick facade. In my model I used a stiff cardboard for my wooden framing, tracing paper for my glass and and thinner stiff cardboard for the creating my staggered brick facade.

No comments:

Post a Comment